woensdag 26 september 2018

Which supplements I take - B12, Omega-3…?




For a long time (well since beginning of 2014), I’ve been hoping of not needing any supplements like I describe here. Also the fact that athletes like Tim Van Orden, used to live without from what I understood, encouraged me in exploring that as well. In this post here, I also mention that I do a yearly checkup of my blood, since I’ve to go for a yearly positive sport attest for competition to the general practitioner in any way.

On these tests, my cholesterol was

2014          2015          2016          2017          2018
170 mg/dl   144 mg/dl   161 mg/dl   150 mg/dl   171 mg/dl

It’s only in 2016, so after 2 years, that I asked to do a more detailed analyses because of my food changing habits on things like proteins, calcium, Vitamin D...and of course the very famous Vitamin B12.

Proteins

2016          2017
73 g/L         75g/L

Calcium

2016          2017
9,6 mg/dL   9,6mg/dL

Vitamin D

2015          2016          2017          2018
44,4 ng/mL 39,5 ng/mL 43,8 ng/mL  39,7 ng/mL

Vitamin B12

2016          2017          2018
187 ng/L     183 ng/L     489 ng/L


It is mainly the B12, which turn out to be not so good after the check in 2016. So I did some research about B12 and found out it to be a bacteria. It disappeared, because we clean our vegetables too heavily and eliminate the bacteria. Cows get it from the grass that they graze in the meadow on which there is some poop. (funny story, since the amount of meat that we’ve to produce at an incredible speed (because of the demand) cows stay in a stable and don’t get out, so they miss on B12 as well, and so we provide supplements to cows to have their B12, which then humans eat…). If I would graze I would get it as well, bwa...not an option for me. So maybe if I eat the vegetables out of my garden just like dry cleaned, I could get it, which is what I tried in 2017. For radish, carrots, beets, salads… I would eat them just dry cleaned out of my organic garden. Unfortunately the next blood test showed that is was not really a success. My normal general practitioner subscribed me some injections to fix it, I didn’t like the approach, would not do it and so in 2018, I decide to take some Vitamin B12.

Which one would be good for me?

By doing some research, I found out that there are 2 sorts, methylcobalamin and cyanocobalamin. I found out that cyanocobalamin is a synthetic form of vitamin B12 that is not found in nature, now it’s considered to be more stable and cost-effective. My health has no price, even though methylcobalamin seemed to be more sensitive and higher priced, I decided that, that was the way to go for me. The next step is, which brand?

For me, it has to be as natural as possible, containing no sugar, being vegan, so that I know it is a sustainable product for the future and it should also be pastille for under my tongue (not one to chew or to eat) so that it melts and goes directly into my blood veins.

Europe seemed to be not very easy for that, it’s at Whole Food Markets in the US that I easily found;


I would take it in the morning, after just a glass of water and a glass of lemon water with ginger. I would brush my teeth and a few minutes later set it under my tongue, letting it melt and not eating anything else for the next 30 minutes (although eating should normally not have any influence since food doesn’t go directly into my veins). I took them almost daily (sometimes forgetting a few days or so), now seen the results of my B12 in 2018, I had a plan that finally worked, unfortunately it included starting to take supplements which I had tried to avoid as long as I could (I find the fact of having to take supplements a failure of humanity in his connection with nature).

Till 2017, I used to do these blood tests at my, for long period general practitioner, who was not always pleased with my food changing habits. After these test I went to a new general practitioner, who eats +- the same as I do, and would respect and advise more in my direction of lifestyle.

The general practitioner looked to all the values from previous years, found them good and just recommended to take some Omega-3 as well, and do a Omega-3 test before I do my checkup in 2018. The test is something anyone can do at home and get the results by email afterwards, more info on http://www.omega-3-index.com/.


When I asked for how long I had to take that Omega-3, the answer was, the rest of your life.

That didn’t please me at all, I really saw an image in front of me of those old people with a big box, with every day of the week on it and all kinds of medicines in it. I don’t want to end up like that…


I did some research on Omega-3 and realised that it could be found in Flaxseeds, Chia Seeds, Walnuts, Seaweed… From my point of view I would not take that Omega-3 supplement and would just increase my intake of these natural products. So I did the test without taking any supplements and the results ended up to be a failure again for myself. My Omega-3 Omega-6 balance turned out to be very bad. My new general practitioner didn’t understand that my values would be so bad after the program provided. When I said that I didn’t follow the program, all made sense and proved that I would not be able to get it via natural intake. Probably the confirmation I was looking for.

So out of this Omega-3 test in 2018, I decide to take some Omega-3 supplements, the same question would rise again, which one would be good for me?

Again, for me, it has to be as natural as possible, containing ideally, no sugar, being vegan, so that I know it is a sustainable product for the future and it should be easy for my body to assimilate. Apparently from what I found out, Omega-3 is not so sensitive as B12 and can be taken while eating.

I found 2 that would fit my criteria, being Vegetology and Norsan Omega.


The Norsan Omega had a higher concentration, looked like easy to assimilate so to start off, I decided to move on with that one. Will continue with it till my new test in 2019 and will then depend on the result decide on how to move on.

As a summary, my experience with truth for me, shows unfortunately that I do have to take some supplements.

Apparently Vitamin B12, Omega-3 and Vitamin D are the 3 important once to care about.

B12 locally in Belgium there is PureB B12, normally available on order at any pharmacy.



Other source to buy online are
In any way, daily dose is 1000 microgram.

For Omega-3 locally, I couldn’t find anything suiting my needs, and found these to buy online
The start off for Omega-3 for me with Norsan Omega, is 1,5 teaspoon a day during 2 months and then 0,5 teaspoon a day for the future.

I hope my discovery of my truth, can help you in finding yours and I would love to hear about it!

Feel free to reach out and if there are better local sources of B12 and Omega-3 in Belgium, please do let me know, since that is a continued search for me.


‘I’ve a dream that one day humanity will not need supplements anymore and have completely found again the real connection with nature’.



#peace #goodfood #nature #fruitsandvegetables #wholefood #nosupplements #TimVanOrden #yearlybloodcheckup #nocholesterol #goodproteines #calcium #VitamineD #VitaminB12 #B12 #B12methylcobalamin #Omega3 #Omega3test #omega3index #Flaxseeds #ChiaSeeds #Walnuts #Seaweed #Omega6 #Vegetology #NorsanOmega #PureB #solgar #jarrow #vitabay #norsanomega #vegetology #Iveadream

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten