woensdag 16 mei 2018

My meet up with Mahatma Gandhi


Since my food changing habits, my interest, in knowing more of great inspiring people has increased tremendously. I’ve always heard so much positive things about Mahatma Gandhi and recently it caught my attention that more and more people made reference to him. This made me conclude that I had to search for a book about him and learn more about him, my curiosity was stimulated. There are quite several ones available, now ‘An autobiography; The Story Of My Experiments With Truth’ caught most of my attention and I decided to go for that one.


I’ve read already several Autobiographies from different people, now this one was very special to me. When I read it, it felt so open, human, no secrets, kind... in a language that I would imagine Mahatma Gandhi to speak and so it really felt like a meet up. It was really like while I was reading the book, he sits beside me telling his story. Really felt like I was just sitting there and listening to what he says so beautifully.

It is sometimes a bit confusing and hard to follow for me as a European, with all the names of his Indian friends, or Indian persons he met on his path and that are quite hard to remember. This of course doesn’t cause any influence on the book itself, the content is still there, even without being able to set all the links between the people concretely.


His knowledge of the human race with quotes such as ‘‘It shows how powerfully the physical in man reacts to the psychological.’ and ‘‘The people are not by nature violent, they are peaceful’ shows what a wise man he was. His vows for his basic principles, sticking with them under any circumstances and his dedication to public service and the Ashram can only be admired.

His simple way of living, his dedication to service, the principles of truth and non-violence are really the beauty of him as a person. It is also what has provided him ineffable mental peace. Secretly, I would have hoped he had inspired even more people than he has done till now and that we would live in a world where his example would become the standard of how people live and behave.


His way of living ‘Ahimsa’ (a religious or spiritual, philosophical concept of nonviolence and respect for all life, it is usually interpreted as showing peace and awe for all sentient beings.) is so magical, that I might think quite some time should be spent with our children in school to learn and teach about this. It took me 39 years to get in contact with it and it was quite a search unfortunately.

And of course, his sense of food being plant based, mainly fruits is something nice to read, now I don’t really need any further inspiration in there.

Just hearing about Ahimsa and the examples Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr at school, might to my opinion bring us to a specious with a higher level of consciousness.




What more do we need after inspiring people like Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr and so many more showed the example?



#peace #goodfood #nature #fruitsandvegetables #MahatmaGandhi #Gandhi #MartinLutherKingJr #freedom #giveupfear #equal #peoplearepeaceful #Ahimsa

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten