maandag 18 maart 2019

Why take a cold shower instead of a hot one?


I have quite often heard people praise and say that at least to finish the shower with cold water instead of hot, was good for my health. Over the years I have tried this several times, now I found that it always brought me too hard out of my comfort (comfort that hot water provides). I think it gives a kind of motherly love warmth where we all come from and where we feel so comfortable and safe.

At a certain point in June 2016, I heard on the Rich Roll podcast RRP231 also Wim Hof talking about cold therapy. At the same time a beautiful colleague told me about it, now for some reason, Wim Hof's conversation during the podcast was inspiring, I thought it didn't apply to me and it didn't sound with me. I mainly exposed myself to the cold, tried it several times, now I found the discomfort too hard.


In November 2018, a friend who, like me, followed Rich Roll's podcasts also called the Rich Roll podcast RRP406 as a must and it was one that I had personally skipped. I made a point of listening to it and this time it all collapsed. Probably the "anyone can do this" Wim Hof mentioned, got my full attention. Of course it also has a lot to do with yoga, breathing, feeling, connection with nature.....also all kinds of subjects that I have experienced in the past 5 years.

One of the things that have really attracted me on this journey since changing my eating habits, is to get back in contact with on the top of five traditional senses (sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste) like the animals also with what is called the "sixth sense". When Wim then talks in the podcast about getting back in touch with the immune system and the endocrine system (hormones), I was completely sold. As Wim said, I began to see cold as a brave, patient teacher for my body.


Early December 2018 I registered for free on the website of Wim Hof for the follow-up of the Free mini lesson and immediately applied the breathing technique and the cold showers. Instead of washing me with hot water, I made the water tepid and the shower ended up completely cold (at first it's just less tepid, not quite cold yet). It is true that I felt good afterwards, now I had the feeling that there could be more in it.

At the end of December 2018 I decided to only take cold showers (completely and not to start with hot showers anymore). The only exception I made then was washing my long hair, I used hot water for it because the cold water felt very hard on the head. It took me just a big week to only take cold showers from then on. It felt great and after a while I really started to like it and looking forward to it.


It gave me during the 3 months that I do it now:
  • Huge boost and feeling of life all over my body. I live!
  • Amazing self-confidence shot from feeling what my body can do.
  • My skin feels softer, doesn't dry out anymore and so I don't use skin oil anymore.
  • My body is generally much better at dealing with cold.
  • It gives me a kind of freedom to no longer need hot water.
  • I hardly need any heating in the house or bedroom, everything feels warm.
  • And probably a lot indirectly things that I don't realize yet.

During my retreat at Irène Grosjean's premises a few years ago, I was very attracted by her story that she would wash herself under a waterfall in the back garden. It sounded great to me, now of course related to the temperature at that time, I imagined that, that was impossible. Today with this experience so far, I have very different eyes on this and I really look forward to it.


In order to fine tune all these experiences, I have kept an eye on the WHM fundamentals workshops. First I followed them via Bart Biermans because I am often in Amsterdam. Now they never fitted in so far and so I came into contact with an even more local instructor for Leuven, namely Dirk Janssen.

On March 17, 2019 I had the WHM fundamental workshop with Dirk Janssen, aka Boempatatman (https://www.instagram.com/boempatatman/ / https://www.facebook.com/boempatatman/) in Leuven, it was great and I really do recommend it for anyone who likes yoga, breathing, focus, nature..... and of course some cold exposure!

Thanks to all of you who opened my eyes to such a wonderful discovery, now is the time for an ice bath!


#peace #goodfood #nature #fruitsandvegetables #wholefood #freedom #giveupfear #coldwater #RichRoll #RRP231 #WimHof #RichRollpodcast #RRP406 #anyonecandothis #sixthsense #immunesystem #endocrinesystem #wimhofmethod #IrèneGrosjean #BartBiermans #DirkJanssen #Boempatatman #wonderfuldiscovery #icebath

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten